Homes by CFE - Program Eligibility
The following is a list of eligibility requirements for the Homes by CFE down payment assistance program. Borrowers must meet all eligibility requirements listed below to qualify for the program. If you have additional eligibility questions please feel free to reach out to us to discuss.
- Borrower must not currently own property or have not purchased a property in the past three years, consistent with the FHA definition of a first-time homebuyer.
- Program assistance is for the purchase of a primary residence only.
- Borrower must be at or below 120% Median Family Income (MFI) as defined by the D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development. See the inclusionary zoning charts linked here for more information on income limits based on household size.
- After the loan closes, the borrower may not have more than six months of cash reserves. Cash reserves are defined as mortgage payment plus taxes and insurance. (This does not include 401ks.)
- Borrower must be able to qualify for a first trust mortgage, and mortgage lender must be willing to accept the terms of the Homes by CFE Down Payment Assistance loan.
- Borrower must identify as Black / African American or Hispanic / Latinx. (Find out more about CFH’s Special Purpose Credit Program.)
- Home purchase price must be under $584,000 (adjusted annually).
- Property must be in the District of Columbia.
- Borrower must participate in homeownership counseling and provide a certificate of completion to CFH.
- Borrower must complete Homes by CFE’s homebuyer orientation.
Ready to Apply for Assistance?
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements listed above, please fill out the Homes by CFE program application. The application takes a few minutes of your time and one of our loan officers will follow up with you as soon as possible to discuss your eligibility and next steps of the process.